What is Oil Pulling?
This is the practice of swirling or swishing oil around your mouth and then spitting it out. The oil should be held in the mouth for about 5 to 20 minutes and then spit or rinsed out. Swishing liquids in the mouth for health purposes is one of the oldest health practices in the world and has been mentioned in two ancient Indian Ayurvedic texts (one written in 800 B.C. and the other in 700 B.C.)
There are many first hand reviews of people online who have tried this practice. One recent review found that oil pulling might be as effective as chlorhexidine mouthwash in reducing plaque.
Many different edible oils can be used for this practice such as coconut, sesame and sunflower oil especially if they are cold pressed. Black seed oil has also been shown to have many therapeutic benefits in the oral cavity as well as great for general health and well-being.
Black cumin seeds oil has no known toxicity and can be consumed safely. Medical scientists have opted for this ancient Black cumin seeds oil to manage major dental problems to give the patients relief from the various causes of tooth ache and other oral health problems.
Dentists prefer black cumin seeds oil as an anti-microbial agent for teeth whitening, and oral maintenance. Black cumin seeds oil cleanses the gum, teeth and tongue and is definitely a nutritious oral health enhancer which has top anti-fungal elements, thymoquinone and analgesic components. The anti-microbial properties in thymoquinone present in black cumin seeds oil builds up a powerful inhibitor to block the growth of the microbial bacteria.
Here are some of its various uses:
- Gargle with black seed oil and water to help to solve gingivitis and ulcers.
- It is advised to use black seed oil mixed with curd to get relief from the following dental problems such as premature loss of teeth, weakened tooth strutures, bleeding gums and bad breath or halitosis.
- Black seed oil-soaked cotton can also be put topically on affected area for 15-20 minutes to get instant relief from pain and soreness.
- Reduce Dental caries. Due to its antimicrobial activity. It fights against strep mutans.
- Reduce Periodontal and gingival diseases. It has been shown to have antiplaque activity. Similar to that of antibiotics.
- Prevent nerve/pulpal inflammation when applied directly to the inflamed nerve. Can be used to replace formacresol in pulp capping in pediatric dentistry.
- Accelerate the healing of mouth ulcers and mucositis especially those induced from chemo and radiation therapy
- Expedite bone healing at dental extraction and surgical sites (suitable for all wound healing)
- Improve Osseo-integration of dental implants into bone which is fundamental for the long term success of the implant.
Method of Swishing Oil:
According to Indian Ayurveda there are two oil pulling techniques: kavala and gandusa.
In kavala, you fill your mouth with liquid and hold it there for a couple of minutes before swirling it around the mouth and spitting it out. The process should not exceed more than three or four minutes. It is repeated at least two or three times.
Gandusa is the technique of holding the liquid still in the mouth for three to five minutes. The liquid is then spit out and the process is repeated. No swishing is involved.
Black Seed Oil in Toothpaste
Keeping in mind its immense health benefits and positive effects in the oral mucosa, black seed oil has proven to be an excellent ingredient for dental products without any reported side effects.
SprinJene Natural Toothpaste range has a patented black seed oil formula and along with that incorporates the following natural ingredients which are known to combine together to make an excellent tooth paste:
Black seed oil - Known to have excellent antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties
Zinc- Helps control the growth of bacteria, plaque and tartar thereby promoting healthy gums. ADA Approved
Acacia gum - A natural organic binder
Xylitol and Stevia- non cariogenic natural sweeteners. Xylitol helps promote saliva production and prevents tooth decay. It is also ADA approved.
Coconut oil - Helps lubricate oral surfaces to bring comfort to dry mouth sufferers and may help to prevent tooth decay after some enzyme digestion.
Green Apple & Mint extracts - Taste modifiers with cooling sensation.
Aqua - Solvent to solubilize salts. Formulation aid.
Silica- Natural abrasives to assist stain removal.
Glycerin - Glycerin is a non-carcinogenic and a Non-GMO humectant that helps protect our formulas against bacteria growth and keep the product moist.
In addition to these properties SprinJene is a certified Gluten free toothpaste making it 100% safe for people suffering from Celiac disease and gluten allergies.