Braces are a common orthodontic treatment done to help correct overcrowded, misaligned teeth, or jaw discrepancies. There are several benefits of braces, including an improved smile, better dental function and straight teeth. Before you leave the dentist office, your dentist will give you some instructions for caring for your braces.
Braces and Oral Hygiene
Maintaining oral hygiene is very important when you have braces. Food particles will easily get stuck under your braces and this can cause your teeth to decay faster and can also delay treatment time so it is very important to brush thoroughly. When you are brushing your teeth, move the toothbrush in small circular motions to help remove any food particles that may be under your gum line. Hold the toothbrush at a slight angle and carefully brush over the surface of each tooth and between the braces. You should brush at least four times each day: in the morning, either after lunch or after school, after dinner and before going to bed. The bristles of your toothbrush will wear down more than before you had braces, so you will need to replace your toothbrush more often.
When you wear braces, flossing is essential to make sure you remove the plaque and food particles that your toothbrush can't reach. Talk to your dentist about the best type of floss to use for your specific needs. Flossing should be done at least once each day. When you first start flossing, the gums may bleed some. If the bleeding does not stop after the first couple of times you floss, inform the dentist the next time you are at the dentist office.
Rinsing with a mouthwash that contains fluoride may help to strengthen the enamel on your teeth and prevent tooth decay. But you should talk to your dentist about the best type of mouthwash to use. A prescription strength fluoride toothpaste may be prescribed by your dentist as well.
Foods that cannot be cleaned off the teeth can lead to discoloration and decay of your teeth. Even though braces are made out of metal and wires they are usually fragile and can be damaged by eating the wrong kind of foods thus extending the treatment period.
Absolutely avoid eating:
- Caramel and foods with caramel such as caramel popcorn
- Sticky toffees
- Gummy bears
- Apples and carrots unless cut in to pieces.
- Hard candy
Eat less of:
- Ice cream
- Sugary foods
Drink much less:
- Soda pop
- Sugary drinks
Brushing and flossing with braces:
Flossing with braces is carried out the same way as you would floss without braces, except that the floss must be threaded under the arch wire and between the teeth. A floss threader, which looks like a large plastic needle can make this easier.
- Thread the floss under the arch wire.
- Remove the thread
- Floss each side of each tooth in the space
- Pull the floss out of the space with one hand as you release the floss with your other hand.
- Repeat this method between all your teeth.
- Brush 4 times a day after every meal
- Brush under, above, behind and around all surfaces of teeth and braces
- Brush inside and outside of both top and bottom gums
- brush inside and outside of both top and bottom gums
- Rinse mouth thoroughly after bushing
Use a soft brush with a small head, brush slowly and take your time. Visit your dentist regularly.
SprinJene Natural Toothpaste
A good tooth paste goes a long way in preventing dental caries and helping to maintain good oral hygiene. There are many tooth pastes available in the market but one specific tooth paste which is especially extraordinary is SprinJene Natural Toothpaste. Not only does it possess the cleaning and disinfecting properties of commercial tooth paste but it does all that along with being completely Natural and chemical free.
This makes it an ideal oral product especially when undergoing orthodontic treatment and wearing any orthodontic appliance.
- SprinJene Natural Toothpaste has a range of specialty tooth pastes that are made especially to aid in each of these areas:
- Cavity protection
- Original white boost
- Sensitivity relief
- Fresh boost
- Health boost All of the ingredients present in SprinJene are complete safe and natural, without any side effects. They have undergone various research studies which have proven their innumerable benefits in being:
- Immune boosting
With natural mint and clove flavors that give our Adult Cavity Protection a fantastic boost of flavor and freshness at the same time. But SprinJene is about more than healthy teeth, it’s about using only quality natural ingredients.
Patented Zinc and Black Seed Oil Formula!
SprinJene Natural Cavity Protection Toothpaste features a patented formula with zinc and black seed oil, along with “good for you” ingredients like coconut oil, clove extracts, birch tree xylitol, and acacia gum. This patented natural toothpaste formula can help to:
- Provide relief from dry mouth.
- Control the growth of tartar.
- Deliver long-lasting oral freshness.
- Fight gingivitis (gum disease).
- Reduce gum inflammation.
Picking the right toothpaste can be difficult, but it’s an important first step in your oral hygiene routine.